Exporting settings

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Is it possible to save settings to the file system so I can use them on different machines? Would be super useful since I'm not always tied down to one machine...

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM
There seems to be some level of integration with the Visual Studio settings store, but not completely, so I'm at a loss for where the Perspectives settings are actually stored. For example, if you bother to create all your different perspectives for different window/monitor/etc configurations and then you use the VS export feature (Tools > Import and Export Settings...), you will find some references to the Perspectives you created. Somewhere in there, there is a settings category called "Environment_WindowLayout" and there is a property name of WindowProfileNames that contains a pipe-delimited list of all the Perspectives that exist in the perspectives manager.

Within that Category node, however, you'll only find named config nodes for the default perspectives that existed when you installed the Perspectives Manager. I originally thought those perspectives were created by the Perspectives Manager itself to give you a starting point, but those are actually Microsoft's defaults. They made some effort to use perspectives, but I guess they never intended for users to need or want more than those defaults, so there isn't really a built in way to manage them except to rearrange windows once you're already in a particular "perspective". These defaults (Design, Debug, NoToolWin) correspond to the views you're used to (when you're not running the debugger, when you are, not quite sure about NoToolWin), but the custom perspectives are stored elsewhere.

In any case, the settings for the perspectives created through the Perspectives Manager don't actually exist here in the exported settings so I haven't quite figured out where to work with them. Other extensions I've installed have a folder under the [user]\AppData\Local folder and expose a user.config file with various settings. As it happens, there is a Perspectives folder in there, but there are no files - visible or otherwise - in that folder.

Head-scratcher.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Yep. This is a function of Visual Studio that isn't exposed natively. All this extension does it wrap a UI around it. I have no idea where perspectives get stored but it would certainly be nice to export and import those on different machines.