This project is read-only.

Problems

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hi,

Thanks for making this plugin, it's really needed... VS 2010 is constantly forgetting my window configuration, even day to day without switching monitor configurations or using VPN.

Sadly, your plugin doesn't work for me, so I thought I'd give some bug reports in the hopes that it can be fixed and I can finally have the workflow I've always dreamed of! :)

Here are the issues I'm seeing:

- Perspectives don't seem to save window configurations correctly...  first, they save windows that I never had open, which reopen in a big pile when I apply a perspective. Second, they don't save the debug/non-debug configurations of windows. So to use the system I need to save one Perspective for when I'm not debugging and one for when I'm debugging, and apply the appropriate one each time I start/stop debugging! :)

- the Perspectives toolbar doesn't display the right favourites; it shows the first N items from the list of 'perspectives', regardless of which heart icons you click on

- the Window->Perspectives menu doesn't have the 'Perspectives Manager' command on it and I can't find that command in the menu customization dialogs

- 'Window->Perspectives->Load Perspectives' just resets all my windows, doesn't let me select which perspective to load

- 'Window->Perspectives->Save Current As...' fails a lot of the time (error: 'source cannot be NULL') and when it does succeed, the perspective I saved does not show up in the menu (I can only get save/load to work through the Perspectives Manager window)

- the state of the Perspectives Manager window is not saved in Perspectives! ;)

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, with Visual Assist X and Productivity Power Tools installed. Hope this information helps, I'd really really love to be able to use your plugin. Feel free to contact me if you want to figure out precise repro steps for the various issues I'm seeing.

Thanks!

iestyn

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Another issue:

- the list of saved Perspectives keeps changing... at first, some perspectives I'd saved didn't show up, then later they appeared... when I start visual studio, not all of my saved Perspectives show up. But then later (haven't figured out when - maybe when I make a new perspective?) they show up again. Where are they saved? I can take a look and see where they are and maybe figure out.

- (minor annoyance) Perspective names can't start with a number - I would like to name my Perspectives after my work/home/laptop single/dual monitor resolutions

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM

More info - when I save a Perspective while debugging, two unnamed windows appear containing the following error text:

An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame.  This information is also logged by running the application with the /log parameter on the command line, which stores results in "C:\Users\iestyn\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml".
Exception details:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Another issue (this one finally forced me to uninstall Persepectives :o( ):
 - start with a default (undesired) screen layout
 - use Perspectives to load your desired screen layout, then start debugging
 - when you stop debugging... it reverts to your old (undesired) screen layout!

It's the same if you quit and restart visual studio - it reverts to the old screen layout every time. It seems like the Perspectives manager is applying one of the stored Perspectives whenever you exit debug or start Visual Studio. And it's not the one I most recently used!

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Wow. Sounds like you're having a lot of issues. I will look into them and get back to you.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Hey, thankyou! It'd be great to get this fully working as it's just what I want - let me know if I can provide any more information about my installation or repro steps.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM
iestynne wrote:

Another issue (this one finally forced me to uninstall Persepectives :o( ):
 - start with a default (undesired) screen layout
 - use Perspectives to load your desired screen layout, then start debugging
 - when you stop debugging... it reverts to your old (undesired) screen layout!

It's the same if you quit and restart visual studio - it reverts to the old screen layout every time. It seems like the Perspectives manager is applying one of the stored Perspectives whenever you exit debug or start Visual Studio. And it's not the one I most recently used!

I'm experiencing this same issue and a few others that are mentioned in this thread. It seems that the extension constantly returns to its default perspective 'Design'.

I also tried to remove the default perspective, but this makes my IDE crash completely.

I hope you solve the issues soon.

Greetz,

Sjaak-ie

P.S. I use VS 2010 on a Win7 64 bit system

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Also getting the same issues with 2.0.

For your information, these are my Installed products:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRelMicrosoft .NET FrameworkVersion 4.0.30319 RTMRel
Installed Version: Professional
Microsoft Office Developer Tools 01018-532-2002181-70180Microsoft Office Developer Tools
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 01018-532-2002181-70180Microsoft Visual Basic 2010
Microsoft Visual C# 2010 01018-532-2002181-70180Microsoft Visual C# 2010
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01018-532-2002181-70180Microsoft Visual C++ 2010
Microsoft Visual F# 2010 01018-532-2002181-70180Microsoft Visual F# 2010
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer 01018-532-2002181-70180Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01018-532-2002181-70180Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2542054) KB2542054This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2542054.
JetBrains ReSharper 5.1 C# Edition build 5.1.3000.12 on 2011-01-28T04:05:56JetBrains ReSharper 5.1 package for Microsoft Visual Studio. For more information about ReSharper, visit http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/. Copyright © 2003–2012 JetBrains, Inc.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools 10.0.30319Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools
Perspectives 1.0Allows for view, changing and saving window perspectives.
PowerCommands for Visual Studio 2010 1.0A set of power commands for Visual Studio 2010
Visual Assist X For more information about Visual Assist X, see the Whole Tomato Software website at http://www.WholeTomato.com. Copyright (c) 1997-2011 Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Visual Studio Achievements 1.0Visual Studio Achievements
.NET ReflectorVisual Studio add-in that integrates .NET Reflector into Visual Studio to allow you to seamlessly debug into third-party code and assemblies, even if you don't have the source code for them.Visit www.red-gate.com for more information.Copyright (c) 2009-2010 Red Gate Software Inc.
Qt Add-in 1.1.10For more information about the Qt Add-in, see http://qt.nokia.com/Copyright (c) 2008-2011 Nokia Corporation and/or its subsidiary(-ies)